The National Irrigators’ Council (NIC) objectives are to:
To protect or enhance water as a property right and to champion a vibrant sustainable irrigation industry.
The NIC is the voice of irrigators and believes in the following principles to guide future policy decisions:
- A healthy environment is paramount.
- Sustainable communities and industries depend on it.
- Protect or enhance water property rights.
- Characteristics of water entitlements should not be altered by ownership.
- No Negative third party impacts on reliability or availability.
- Potential negative impacts must be compensated or mitigated through negotiation with affected parties.
- Irrigators must be fully and effectively engaged in the development of relevant policy.
- Irrigators expect an efficient, open, fair and transparent water market.
- Irrigators require a consistent national approach to water management subject to relevant geographical and hydrological characteristics.
- Irrigators expect Government policy to deliver triple bottom line outcomes.
- Regulatory and cost burdens of reform be minimised and apportioned equitably.